Sunday, April 05, 2009

Limbo

Hmm...Sunday afternoon around 4 PM and I'm sitting in my friend Liz's TV room while her boyfriend tears apart his "man den," all in the name of spring cleaning. Liz is in her bedroom with her cat Grendel, probably taking a nice nap.

I'm sitting here contemplating the future. Over the last week I've moved all of my belongings to a storage unit, save the things that I use every day, and I'm currently living in Liz's guest room. It feels weird to be 35 years old and so out of sorts. I've applied for a job that, if I get, would take me back to Missouri. I haven't lived there since I was 20 years old. Not only have I applied, but I've had three good interviews, the last with the VP of the division where I would be working. A third interview is kind of the holy grail for this company; they usually send one candidate to that interview, at the most two. And since I'm being considered for two different locations, statistically speaking there is a good chance I'll get an offer. But they're dragging their feet and I'm not good for waiting for things like this, especially when so much rides on the decision. If I get the position, I'll be moving to Missouri and will need to find a place to live. If I don't get an offer, I'll be staying in Columbus until I find another job in another state. Yes, I've decided that it's time to move on and try something new, somewhere new.

But in the meantime, I'm very much living in the moment if for no other reason than I can't plan very far ahead right now. I'm typically not much of a planner anyway, but the older I get the more I like to have a plan, even if it's jotted down on a napkin in chocolate.

So...I'm waiting. And not very good at it.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Chris,

You still have readers, even though your story is sometimes hard to follow. Did I miss the chapter about the break-up?