Friday, November 17, 2006

National Interpreter Certification (NIC)

Well today was the day. This morning at 8:30 I took the National Interpreter Certification (NIC) Interview & Performance exam. My performance and interview was videotaped and will now be shipped to the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) national office, where my tape will be copied and sent to a team of raters who will evaluate my performance and determine whether I pass at the Certified, Advanced or Master level. That process can take up to three months. So now the waiting game begins.

The DVD stimulus materials are VERY well-made. The test seemed to do a good job of simulating a day in the life of an interpreter. If you're planning on taking the test, I recommend taking a NIC Preparation workshop first. It will help you get a handle on what the raters are looking for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, is your score in?

Chris said...

Nope...not until January or February.

Keith Wann said...

Keep me posted.
I look forward to working side by side with you, Master to Master!
Keith

Unknown said...

Hello. I have JUST taken the NIC written last Saturday in Jacksonville, FL. Live in Tallahassee, FL, and am searching for a mentor or guidance in the right direction.

I am a CODA, but I do not count that as interpreting experience - really. How can I best improve my skills for the Performance and Interview (which I plan on taking April/May) other than studying the RID Performance and Interview Practice DVD?

I can be reached at the contact info listed below, or I can correspond with you through this blog. Whatever's clever. Peace.

Billy Sanders
E: billy.a.sanders@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

testing soon myself. got your news yet?