Tuesday, September 19, 2006

In Honor of Julia Sugarbaker

My friend Kevin once told me that I was one of two people he knew who became more eloquent the angrier he became. He's even said, "You went all Julia Sugarbaker on his ass, did ya?" In honor of Ms. Julia Sugarbaker, here is one of my favorite quotes of hers.

Julia is in a televised debate with Commissioner Bricket.

I do not think everyone in America is ignorant! Far from it! But we are today, probably, the most uneducated, under-read, and illiterate nation in the western hemisphere. Which makes it all the more puzzling to me why the biggest question on your small mind is whether or not little Johnny is gonna recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning! I'll tell you something else, Mr. Brickett. I have had it up to here with you and your phony issues and your Yanky Doodle yakking! If you like reciting the Pledge of Allegiance everyday then I think you should do it! In the car! In the shower! Wherever the mood strikes you! But don't try to tell me when or where I have to say or do or salute anything, because I am an American too, and that is what being an American is all about! And another thing...I am sick and tired of being made to feel that if I am not a member of a little family with 2.4 children who goes just to Jerry Fallwell's church and puts their hands over their hearts every morning that I am unreligious, unpatriotic, and un-American!! Because I've got news for you, Mr. Brickett...all liberals are not kooks, anymore than all conservatives are fascists! And the last time I checked, God was neither a Democrat nor a Republican! And just for your information, yes I am a liberal, but I am also a Christian. And I get down on my knees and pray everyday --- on my own turf --- on my own time. One of the things that I pray for, Mr. Brickett, is that people with power will get good sense, and that people with good sense will get power...and that the rest of us will be blessed with the patience and the strength to survive the people like you in the meantime!

3 comments:

Jen said...

OMG ... I just became a fan! (how do I not know who she is???) LOVE her!!

Tyler said...

I LOVE me some Julia Sugarbaker!!!!!! I used to spend hours and hours watching first "The Golden Girls" and then "Designing Women." I totally remember that monologue, as she did have a monologue basically every episode...anyway, she was running for office of some sort...

Original Designer Woman said...

This is cool! I know it's sorta an older post but my company Designing Women is based on the fabulous show and I am researching a lot regarding Miss Julia! I love this!!!

Zanade Mann