Wednesday, September 13, 2006

What I'm Reading

Doing more interpreting in the community means that I have more down time. More down time means I've dusted off a few books and thrown them in my backpack to read in between assignments, or during assignments that are pretty slow. Here's a quick rundown.



The Power of Babel by John McWhorter


A deaf instructor in the Interpreter Training Program in Cincinnati recommended this book to me. With wit, humor and an occasional personal narrative, Mr. McWhorter takes us back in time for a look at how the very first language has split and morphed into over 6,000 languages that enable the world to communicate. Even if you don't have a pressing interest in linguistics, this book will both entertain and educate.

The Partly Cloudy Patriot & Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell


If you don't yet know Sarah Vowell, you should take the time to get to know her. She's an intelligent, engaging and witty writer. She's a self-admitted history nut, with a heavy slant toward the macabre. She takes a fresh and decidedly liberal look at history and politics, offering great insights that are easy to wrap your head around. She's the first writer to make history and politics readable for me.

1 comment:

Robert G. Lee said...

I love Sarah Vowell...she's great! Also John McWhorter is brilliant! I actually know him...we lived in the same dorm for a year and have run into each other occasionally....very nice guy.